Trailmen and Dads-
I sit here trying to think of a way of saying thank you for such a great year. Or a non-dorky way of taking note of the season. No luck in either instance.
It was a great year. The Wreaths Across America event really blessed me. Thank you.
Tomorrow, next week, and for the rest of our lives, “Come, let us adore Him”.
See you in the new year.
Your brother in Christ,
This Saturday, we are going to be involved in Wreaths Across America. This is a service project that began in 1992 in Harrington, Maine. This project will take the place of our usual Saturday meeting. Currently, the plan is for us to pick up flags and replace them with wreaths. We will be working in one of the cemeteries in Holden.
Dads- Snow is currently predicted for this Saturday. Please ensure that your trailmen are dressed for being outside. If you don’t feel that it is appropriate weather for your son to be out but want to attend by yourself, please feel free.
This is a great opportunity to honor our veterans.
What: Wreaths Across America
When: This Saturday (Dec. 17) from 10:00a until approximately 2:00p.
Where: Holden Veterans Memorial 570 Main Rd. (between Town Office and Holden Elementary School). This is just before the Bangor/Holden KOA on the left side of the road. We will be assigned a work area at that point.
Other: Bring a bag lunch and something warm to drink
Other 2: If you are running late, call Simon on his cell to find out where we have been assigned.
Google map link — https://www.google.com/maps/place/Holden+Town+Office
After review, the University of Maine’s art museum turned out not to be such a good choice. Ninety percent of the artwork easily met our Christian standards, the other ten percent, not so much.
In keeping with our art theme, the Troop is going to try another University of Maine facility. Hudson Museum is more along the line of a traditional museum. I believe, however, that we will find it in keeping with both our art and our collection themes.
Cost: There is no charge for admission.
What: Hudson Museum
When: This Saturday (Dec. 10) from 1:00p until 4:00p.
Where: We will meet at the door of the Hudson Museum on the on the UM-Orono campus (directions below)
Here is a link to the type of collections at the museum. http://umaine.edu/hudsonmuseum/collections/
From the Exit 191 N:
- Coming from the south on I-95, take Kelley Road Exit #191(formerly exit #50).
- Turn right at end of exit ramp. Drive 1 mile to the traffic lights.
- Take left onto Route 2. Drive 2.5 miles, through downtown Orono, to the third set of traffic lights immediately after the bridge.
- Bear right and proceed to the University entrance which will be on your left next to the Bangor Savings Bank. Turn left there, at the Y intersection, bear left and the Collins Center will be straight ahead.
From the Exit 193 N:
- Exit # 193 (formerly exit #51) – Stillwater Avenue/Old Town – I-95 (either north – or south-bound.) See Orono Area Map for details.
- Turn towards Burger King and the shopping center.
- Turn right at the fourth traffic light by McDonald’s and KFC and go down College Avenue.
- Take the third left onto Munson Road, located immediately after the Alfond Arena, at the first University of Maine sign. Drive towards the fieldhouse with the big M. Follow the road around it and turn right on Flagstaff Road. At the end of the road you will find the Collins Center for the Arts.
For a campus map with our location highlighted in red, click here.
Greetings, Trailmen and Trailmen Dads-
Now for something completely different; a list of things that are planned for the month of December. Somehow, it seemed appropriate with so much going on. With no further ado……
1) This Saturday (3rd), Trailmen should bring a few samples of a thing they collect. They should be ready to talk for a few minutes about their collection.
2) Next Saturday (10th), we will be visiting an art museum. More details in the near future.
3) Saturday, the 17th, we may participate in Wreaths across America. This is a program to honor our fallen veterans. We would be placing wreaths on the graves of veterans in Eddington. Again, more details in the near future.
4) We will NOT meet on Saturday, the 24th, and Saturday, the 31st, to avoid conflict with holiday plans. During the holiday season, we would, however, ask that you take a few minutes and pray for our Trail Life troop.