Dear Trailmen Parents–
As you know, the Troop will be meeting at Eddington Community Church this weekend. The following weekend (4/8), we will be going on a hike through a section of the Acadia Carriage Trails.
Please take note of a couple very important considerations:
FOOTWEAR: Please ensure that your Trailmen has the appropriate footwear. Hiking boots are preferred…or, weather permitting, sneakers might be acceptable. Snow boots are not acceptable footwear.
If you are buying your Trailmen new boots to start the hiking season, here are some things to consider when making your purchase:
- Hiking boots don’t have to be expensive! Locally, Walmart and Marden’s both have some great options for around $20-$40.
(They’ll grow out of them in a year, so no sense spending $200!)
- When you go shoe shopping, have your boy wear the type of socks he will be wearing with the boots.
(A nice pair of wool socks is a great option.)
- Don’t go for the steel toe! Steel-toed boots are for working. It will just add unnecessary weight when hiking.
- Make sure that he breaks them in. (Start with a couple of hours around the house. Slowly increase the time until he can wear them all day without a problem.)
- Do your shoe shopping in the evening if possible. This is when a growing young boy’s feet are the largest.
All these factors will help reduce the chance of blisters. WE DON”T WANT BLISTERS! 🙂
DISTANCE: The hike we are planning is called the Day Mountain Loop. It is about 6.5 miles. This is the longest hike we have been on to date. Please consider whether your son is comfortable and capable of completing a hike of this distance. Don’t forget that he will be carrying a backpack with:
- Weather appropriate clothing (extra layer, hat, mittens/gloves)
If you have any questions, please bring them up at Saturday’s meeting.