Sorry to do this again, but……due to circumstances beyond our control, we are going to have to cancel this Saturday’s (7-28) meeting.
Here are a couple of small pieces of business that I would have brought up if we had met.
- The camp out at Blackwoods Campground is coming up in August. August 24-26 to be exact. We need to know (by our next meeting) who will be attending so we can finalize some of our plans. Thanks.
- Your Troop leadership wants to, once again, thank everyone for making the Return to Eaton Brook camp out such a great success!
- Help the Troop dishwashers out. Please bring BOWLS to eat from rather than plates! This may seem a little trivial but it will help the dishwashers fit everything into the plastic sinks when they clean up.
See everyone at our next meeting on August 4. Same Time, Same Meeting Place.
As you all know it is time for our July CAMP OUT!!!!! It is THIS week end (July 20-22)
Where: Eaton Brook Camp Site (The one behind Steve Page’s property. Text/call Steve for more complete directions.)
- Friday (arrive around 6:00 pm):
bag check, opening, setup tents/site, dinner, free time, campfire
- Saturday Morning:
breakfast, cleanup, prep for lunch
- Saturday Afternoon/Evening:
clean up from lunch, trip to the pool at Cold River Campground, head back for supper, then free time after supper
- Sunday Morning:
Devotion/Church, breakfast, site cleanup, head home
What To Bring:
Check the Packing List page here on our blog. There will be a bag check.
Misc.Packing List Comments:
- Closed toe shoes are required.
- Swim shoes, flip flops, or old sneakers are a good idea for getting to and from the pool.
- If you have a life jacket for your non-swimmer or beginning swimmer, please bring it. The troop will be able to bring few extra in case you don’t have one.
- Don’t forget your swim suit and towel.
- Don’t forget your bug spray and sun tan lotion.
- Pack a long sleeve shirt/long pants in case the sun gets to be too much for you.
- No electronics, please.
- If you don’t bring it, you won’t lose it.
The menus for this camp out were sent out in an earlier post. Meals on this camp out are going to be cooked/prepared by the young men of our troop!
The price will include five meals (Fri:D Sat: B/L/D Sun: B), plus admission to the swimming pool. All of this for $15/person.
(Please let Simon/Steve know if you need financial assistance – we want to make sure your trailmen can be a part of the fun!)
Evening Trailmen –
In an attempt to move the troop toward backpacking trips and away from car camping, we are asking that from now on, each trailman limit himself to two bags: one containing their personal items and one with sleeping gear.
To help with this transition, we are going to have a pack-check at our next meeting (Saturday, July 14th). This will be the primary focus of the meeting, so please make sure to read on for details!!
Please have each trailman bring the items that they would bring on a camp out packed in two bags – preferably a backpack and a duffel bag, or something along those lines. In other words, bring your personal gear in one and your sleeping bag, pajamas, and pillow in another.
(Since we are trying to prepare the boys for backpacking adventures, please do not bring your gear in just a plastic trash bag. That wouldn’t hold up during a hike!)
If anyone is short on backpacks / duffel bags, please let us know. Your fellow trail-families may have extras they can donate. Also, Maine Military Supply in Holden has a great selection of new and used duffel bags for around $17-$20 each:
Maine Military Duffle Bags
We will use our packing list as a guide to help us to cut back on the unnecessary (and heavy) items that we tend to bring on a camp out and never use. Even us leaders tend to carry more than we need, so we all need to participate in this exercise…that means you too, dads!!
Looking forward to seeing everyone on Saturday.